Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 1: 30 day challenge

They say that it takes 30 days for a habit to form.

I'm not sure who 'they' are, but maybe they're right? I've never been able to stick with something out of my comfort zone for more than 30 days, and as a result I have formed no new habits (good ones, anyway) and I haven't broken any old ones that have been around too long. So... I've been stagnant for a long time, and I don't want to be that way for a minute longer.

The idea came to me over the weekend. I was talking to my husband about the fact that every weight loss plan I have ever attempted has failed within 1-2 weeks, and how I was worried that I would never be able to get the weight off. I never learned how to push myself and move more, eat less in order to be healthier. What I did learn along the way was how to eat my emotions and only find comfort in things I could do curled up on the couch with one of the dogs in my lap.

I also realized that I have attempted to change my lifestyle from every perspective and motivation I could think of.

Vanity? I lowered my standards for myself until what I used to consider unhealthy was normal. Health? I just didn't care.
Feeling better? Eh. I could find other ways to do that.

No matter what, I've always been able to talk myself out of every opportunity I've given myself to move forward and try harder to be healthy.

But then... I realized something. I remembered that old phrase, that it takes 30 days of working on something until it becomes habit, and that I have the 30 day shred DVD waiting for me at home. Could I be on to something?

So... Here I am. I've decided to challenge myself. Give myself 30 days without looking for instant gratification (thus, removing disappointment at my lack of physical change), looking for weight gain, or getting frustrated by the idea of having to do the same thing over and over again for the rest of my life to maintain a smaller figure. Not only am I trying to lose weight, I'm trying to take better care of myself on all levels- physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Here are the details:
1) I must blog every single day
2) I must do every day of the 30 day shred
3) I will weigh and measure myself once tonight, then do it again on July 8.
4) I must be conscious of every thing I put in my mouth, and list it here.
5) I must try to work more veggies into my diet every day
6) I must try to drink more water, less garbage

Food Log:
Breakfast: 1 whole wheat English muffin, 1 serving PB, one glass 1% milk
Snack: Fresh apple slices, grapes, a strawberry, and a handful of smoked almonds
Lunch: Healthy Choice Steam Mixers - Zesty Marinara and a diet coke

Starting weight: 154
Goal weight: 139

No comments:

Post a Comment

My playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

background